Thursday, March 11, 2010

a trip, back to school, & malaria.

The last two months have felt rather eventful and time has definitely flown. Here is an overview of our time:

1. I, Bethany, took a trip for two weeks in January. I traveled to Mozambique, South Africa and back to Zambia as part of an international evaluation team. I can say it was a powerful experience. I had the opportunity to participate in field interviews with project beneficiaries about how their life had changed due to the job created through one of three different organizations. I can say it is truly inspirational to hear stories of great HOPE and restored DIGNITY. The evaluation was successful and most partners were found to be right on target. I walked away with a deeper hope that Africans truly have the best solutions to Africa's challenges and if equipped and supported to implement their ideas great strides towards growth and development can be accomplished.

2. I returned to Chipata following this trip knowing what many of you know now, that Kyle and I will only remain another six months in Zambia. While this remains a difficult pill to swallow, we are finding a lot of peace. I believe that God is leading us in a new direction (that is yet to be determined) and that what he had asked us to do will be done in the time allotted. In faith we have obeyed what we felt called to do and we wait patiently in faith for God to reveal.

3. In the meantime, I returned to home school having added another student. A South Africa girl who's family is temporarily in Chipata began attending our school. I was her primary teacher, using my two open hours of the homeschool morning to teach her english and math. She also participated in joint humanities with the other grade 2 girl. I have been informed however that she will probably be moving sometime next week. My class load will lessen enabling me more time to focus on wrapping things up here in Chipata over these last few months.

4. During this time of waiting, Kyle and I experienced another "first" for us as residents of Zambia. I can say it was unwanted and unwelcome, nonetheless helped us understand a bit more about our fellow Zambians. Two weeks ago, I came down with malaria. This is about as common here as the head cold during the month of January in the USA . However, its somehow 100 times more miserable...the best way to describe it is to close your eyes and imagine every possible thing that can go wrong in your body. Now imagine it all happening at the same time. It feels something like that. My fever even peaked at 102.7F, the highest I can remember since I was very young. We are thankful for friends here who gave us advice and that God showed his mercy and enabled the medicines to start working rather quickly. I only spent 2 days in bed and three more resting around the house. I also have to say that I am MOST thankful for a loving and understanding husband who spent much of two days nursing me back to health when I could not get out of bed. Together we endured the scary moments and the moments of relief when we found the symptoms going away. We also know that many of you keep us in your daily prayers and I have no doubt that my swift recovery is because you pray for us. And for that we want to express sincerest gratitude for your prayers.

5. Kyle remains busy with his Friday business training group as well as following up with our various partners. There is always something for him to do and many tasks can take tremendously longer than they do in the United States.

Finally, I leave you with the picture below. My brother-in-law managed to satellite our town (I think through google earth)and locate our house. I thought you might enjoy seeing an overhead picture of our home. Our house is circled in red and the mosque school is to the top of the picture. Two things to note: this shot was definitely taken during the dry season (right now the whole picture would be bright green) and we could only wish our road looked as nice as it does in this picture :).
Greetings from the Stobs in Zambia.

1 comment:

Chris Winkler said...

There's something about malaria and (bad as it sounds) it being a sort of initiation rite into life in Africa. So sorry to hear that you had it! No fun at all. Judah had it back in November. Ugh.