Friday, May 14, 2010

don't tell my dentist...


although our time in zambia is winding down...i believe it is NEVER too late to try something new.

about a week ago our worker brought us some sugar cane from his family farm. yesterday i decided to brave my teeth and the gigantic knife i had to use to slice off the outer skin and try eating it.

the idea is to bite off a piece of the juicy inner core. you chew and suck it until all the juice is out, then you spit out the rest. when it dries its a lot like wood chips you put in the garden.

it turns out pure sugar cane is ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! i finished the stick that's in my hand. it has a sweetness more like a piece of fruit rather than "sugar."

just don't tell my dentist!

2 comments:

Chris Winkler said...

Because of the way it's eaten, it kind of has a cool experiential element to it...kind of like chewing sunflower seeds or something like that.

James Post said...

I had sugar cane when I was in Papua New Guinea. It's really good! :-) I was carrying a small boy on my shoulders and gave him some and pretty soon I felt a drip drip drip on my head... cute.