Monday, September 8, 2008

Freak Accidents Can Happen Here Too!

In an attempt to notify family members first, we have delayed in posting the following story. At this time though, we would like to share it with you all. However, as a warning this story is not for the faint of heart and does include photos of an injury.

On Saturday, Kyle and I made a half hour walk (instead of getting a ride) to Manda Hill which is the "western" shopping mall here...it is an outdoor strip mall design with a food court and outdoor seating. We went there to meet with Kyle's friend Happy and his family (wife and son). Happy used to be very active in CBI Lusaka and with Partners Worldwide. He is a successful businessman and also the senior pastor of a church in Lusaka. He was very excited to know that Kyle was back in town, so we met them to catch up and talk for a little while. It was a very good time of cokes, chatting, and laughter until a huge gust of wind came up and lifted the shade umbrella right out of it stand and crashed it to the ground. The pole missed me by a little bit, but the arm of the umbrella crashed down on my head...it took me completely by surprise! It came up and hit me from behind. I sat a bit stunned and as everyone was asking me if I was okay, I was trying to assess how much pain I was actually in. I just knew that my head felt like I had been hit by a baseball bat. Kyle got up and came by me and looked just in time to see that my head was gushing blood (my apologies to those who get queasy). As it ran down the side of my head/face and pooled in front of me I began to be a bit concerned as well. But praying and trying to remain calm, I just sat still.

It was quite an episode though because I nearly fainted due to blood loss and I had to lay down on the sidewalk with all these people around. Then Kyle nearly fainted either because I almost did or because of the sight of blood :). We are sure that God's hand was with us, though, because 1)Happy's wife is a physician and immediately began applying first aid by using napkins to control the bleeding. 2) They had a vehicle and were able to drive us to the nearest private clinic so I could receive care.

Once I was feeling better after lying down, they drove us to a clinic where I received 4 stitches and a Tetanus shot. I was very relieved when the doctor informed me that they were going to use a localized anestetic. They had to cut/shave some of my hair in order to stitch the cut shut. Considering the circumstances we consider it a miracle I do not have a concussion or any other head pain. The worst of it seems to be the "Little Rascals Alfalfa" hairstyle I will sport as my hair grows back and protecting the bald spot from sunburn in the meantime. :)

Overall, the experience was a bit startling (and embarassing) primarily because I was in a public place in a foreign country and I had no idea what to expect. But God was with us and provided once again. My advice to you is beware of shade umbrellas on windy days because freak accidents happen ANYwhere.

Below I have attached some pictures I took with my webcam of the injury for those who appreciate pictures.

No comments: