Friday, August 15, 2008

Why this waste?

The last two and a half weeks have been less than easy. Two weeks ago we received an email out of the blue from our visa representative in Zambia saying that our application just missed the pile and would probably be approved the following week. Though trying not to get ahead of ourselves we anticipated the following Friday's news. Friday...Saturday...Sunday...Monday proceeded without word. We wrestled with the silence. Feeling defeated, discouraged, and confused we asked the Lord for understanding.

In the midst of waiting it was difficult for me to understand 'why all this wasted time?' However, it was the gentle reminder of a dear friend and sister in the Lord to remind me what Jesus says about 'waste.'

While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.
When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. "Why this waste?" they asked. "This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."
Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me..."
Matthew 26:6-11

I think I am like the disciples...I look at something and see it only in its immediate purpose. Why this wasted _______(time, skills, talents, etc.). I am quick to question the Will of God and loose sight of a greater eternal picture. But nothing is wasted that is poured out upon Jesus. Although I am sure that our situation did not have the significance of this woman at Bethany, I do believe that there was something eternal being prepared in us and in those we are going to work with in Zambia. Perhaps we will never know until we see the Lord face-to-face.

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess,
for he who promised is faithful
Hebrews 10:23

And God has been faithful. With great rejoicing I can announce: at 1:45pm on Wednesday, August 20, 2008, Kyle and I will board a plane in Chicago, IL ...destination bound for Lusaka, Zambia!

Thank you for all your prayers and support. Please continue to pray as we pack and make decisions as we prepare for a speedy departure. The community of love and support we have with you all is so crucial to our continuing in the ways that God is leading. This testimony is just one example of how God is using one of you to keep our hearts 'set upon things above' that are eternal.

1 comment:

Walter Hampel said...

Kyle & Bethany,

I have found more than once that God's way of dealing with me during a time of long waiting was not to give me what I was waiting for as much as changing my heart & mind about the thing I was waiting for. For me, it was some type of reminder that I placed more emphasis on spiritual duty than on the enduring relationship to God in Christ.

During a time of waiting for what we know that God has called us to do, I think we,(me) inadvertantly, may begin, during draw our spiritual identity from what we are called to DO for Christ rather than remember who we are IN Christ. I find that once that spiritual priority is re-established, the wait comes to an end.

I am not saying that was necessarily the case for you. But, the "delay" allowed for time for added reflection (and service) which may make sense much later.

Godspeed to you in Zambia!!!
The wait is over

Walt Hampel